Photo captions — Second Floor East

(clockwise from elevator)

Tenth Street Studios

1938 (2E1)
Photographer: Bernice Abbott

In 1857, James Boorman Johnston commissioned the young Richard Morris Hunt, America's first French-trained architect, to design studios for artists to create, exhibit, and sell their work. The highly successful Tenth Street Studios, in which interconnected rooms radiated off a central domed gallery, became the center of New York's art world for the remainder of the nineteenth century. From his own studio, Hunt established the country's first architectural school, and an impressive array of academicians, including most of the Hudson River School, worked there. In 1956, the building was razed to make way for the Peter Warren Apartments, an 11-story building named after an eighteenth-century Village landowner.

Four guys and a motorcycle

1959 (2E2)

In front of the famous Gaslight Cafe, the owners pretend not to pose.

Fruit and vegtable cart

1940 (2E3)

One of the many vegetable and fruit carts to be found lining Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village.

Abingdon Square — northeast corner

1901 (2E4)

View of the northeast corner of Abingdon Square from Bleecker & Bank Streets. Note that the site of our building was once the Abingdon Hotel.

Store — Christopher & Bleecker

1936 (2E5)
Photographer: Bernice Abbott

One of Greenwich Village's oldest buildings, this corner store at Christopher & Bleecker Streets was built as a grocery in 1802. Its top floor was reputedly the office of the commission that laid out the 1811 grid plan for the development of Manhattan Island. In 1828, when a bend in Bleecker Street was eliminated, the store lost 20 feet of its width. Abbott's photograph shows the building's 1828 truncation.

The Greenwich Village Association

undated (2E6)

28 Jones Street